Sunday, January 6, 2008

Deep fried and satisfied - with bread pakoda

I love deep fried foods. Before marriage, breakfast in our house would be bhajiyas, bread pakoda, bread roll, paranthas etc. After marriage it all changed to idlis, dosas, poha, upma etc. more healthier no doubt. But I do miss the deep fried foods from my childhood. And in this cold weather, what can be more satisfying than a plate of deep fried snacks for breakfast.

So here goes the recipe

Posted by Picasa


Ingredients

White bread slices 4
1 cup besan or gram flour
1 tblsp finely chopped onion
1 tblsp finely chopped coriander leaves
2-3 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
salt to taste
oil to deep fry

I use white bread for this recipe bcos that is what we had as kids and i still love these snacks with white bread.

Cut each bread slice into 2 pieces at an angle.
Mix the besan, onions, green chilies, green coriander, salt, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Add enough water to make a batter, which should not be too thick or too thin. Something like the consistency of dosa batter.

Heat oil. reduce the heat to medium. Add 1 tblsp of hot oil to the batter and mix well. Then dip each piece in the batter and deep fry in hot oil on medium heat till golden in color.

Serve with either green chutney or sauce.

10 comments:

EC said...

Hey, i make these too but only with besan, salt and red chilli powder..so this is a new version for me to store in my collection of recipes..thanks for sharing

vimmi said...

welcome. try these, they will taste a bit different from the ones u make

FH said...

You know, last month I was frying Bondas and there was some batter left over and I dipped Bread on a whim and fried it. My kids LOVED them, I had never done that before!:D
Looks really great, taste great too!:)

Kamini said...

nothing more comforting in life than fried bread...NOTHING!!

Meera said...

I had eaten this before in India but with only besan salt and chili powder as easycraft mentioned above. Your version looks even better!:-)

Sagari said...

wow bread pakoda looks awesome vimmi very nice recipe pic looks tempting

vimmi said...

thanks Asha, Meera, Kamini, Sagari

as a variation, in Delhi they stuff mashed boiled potatoes, seasoned with chili, salt, dhania onion etc, stuff it between 2 slices and dip it in besan and fry.

Too heavy for us though

Rina said...

Thanks for these bread Pakodas Vimmi..Indeed a gr8 snack with tea or a filling breakfast.

Dori said...

Yum, I love fried foods too...these look perfect :)

TBC said...

I love bread pakoda...so tasty and so filling. I cannot remember the last time I made this. Nice snack to go along with some hot tea. :-)