Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sungta Humman - Prawns in coconut curry a goan speciality

This is the definition of comfort food given by Wikipedia.

Comfort food is typically inexpensive, uncomplicated, and easy to prepare. Many people turn to comfort food for familiarity, emotional security, or special reward.The reasons a dish becomes a comfort food are diverse but often include pleasant associations of childhood.

My husband is from Goa and this is the ultimate comfort food for him. Before marriage to him, i had never tasted this dish. But he used to eat it nearly everyday with rice and fish fry. I would wonder that how could some one eat the same thing every day. But believe me, I tasted it and I was hooked. Now we have changed our eating habits and reduced the consumption of coconut a lot. But i still prepare this once in a while for my dear hubby. The prawns or shrimps that we get here do not have much flavor to them, but if you every get a chance to eat it in India, do try this delicious curry.

This is my entry for Monthly Mingle hosted by Meeta K at her blog http://whatsforlunchhoney.blogspot.com/2008/01/drop-in-decorate-roundup-mm-17.html

 

 
Posted by Picasa

Ingredients
10-12 medium sized prawns/shrimps
1/2 small onion chopped
4-5 pieces of drumsticks - optional
a pinch of hing/Asafoetida

to grind to a smooth paste with a little water:
a small piece of onion
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut (or frozen coconut)
8-10 black peppers
2-3 dry red chilies
1/4th tsp turmeric
2 tsp raw rice
1 tsp tamarind paste or a small piece of tamarind
salt to taste

Coconut oil 3-4 drops optional

Put the prawns, chopped onions and drumsticks in a pan. Add 1/2 cup water and pinch of hing and cook on medium heat without covering for about 10 mins. Grind all the above ingredients to a smooth paste and add to the pan. Cook for another 10 - 15 mins. Check for salt, tamarind and chilies and add more according to taste.
Add the coconut oil, remove from heat and serve hot with rice and fish fry.

19 comments:

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
Drumsticks and prawns itself will taste very nice!!! my mom will make this without adding coconut! that's a very good combo!

Sagari said...

that gravy looks wonderful vimmi nice recipe

Anonymous said...

wow.i love prawns a lot.I am trying this for sure.
Can you please post authentic goan dish - XACUTI please

vimmi said...

Hi Anon,

will post chicken xacuti soon

Padmaja said...

Vimmi!!
My fav seafood is prawns and I love anything which has prawns in it!!
Never tried drumstick n prawns together, looks like a superb combination.

Dhivya said...

Gravy looks wonderful .I am a new blogger.plz do encourage me
http://dhivyaskitchen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Gravy looks delicious vimmi. Love prawn in any form.But never try to add coconut in prawn.Must have tasted good. :-)

vimmi said...

thanks Usha, Sagari, padmaja, Dhivya and Shriya
Thes best part is this curry is ready in 15 mins and no sauteing or frying involved.

Seema said...

Vimmi - Sungata Humman looks yum! My mpuths watering...My mom makes great hummans.. & yes indian praws have far better taste than the ones we get here. Wish i could have some nice spicy humman right now...Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog:-)

Pooja V said...

This is truly my comfort food. I am a hard core goan so for me nothing is more comforting than rice, hooman , sola-kadi n freied fish. I am also glad to have found a goan ( correct me if i m wrong) here.

Dhivya said...

vimmi,,
Your blog doesn't look like u r a new blogger..seeing ur blog i came to know tat u r a very good cook.Thanks for dropping by

vimmi said...

Hi Seema and Dhivya,

Thanks for ur sweet comments.

Pooja,
I am actually a punjabi married to a goan. Love goan food and can cook amny dishes like bangdecha aambat tikhat, chicken xacuti etc.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, a dish with two of my most favourite things in it, Prawns and Drumsticks !! An innovative recipe, am gonna try this curry sometime.. Tnnx for sharing !!

www.zaiqa.net

vimmi said...

Hi Moda,
do try it. Its really good.

Meeta K said...

Looks really great. i love prawns and this is just the perfect kind of food for the mingle. Thanks for joining!

Unknown said...

hey I too love this curry, used to have prawns in India, here I never found prawns anywhere in Massachusets, and my husband is allergic to it, but once in a blue moon, I wud love to have a treat :) but cant find any prawns in my area, still hunting:)

vimmi said...

Hi RV
U should get prawns in any grocery store in their seafood or freezer section

Akshta said...

Hi Vimmi ...... this recipe is simply too good ... was in two minds abt the drumsticks .... but it adds more flavour to the Humman .... This recipe is the best compared to all the prawn curry recipes on various websites. Thanx a lot .... :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you make this
amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m trying to create my very own blog and would love to know where you got this from
or exactly what the theme is called. Many thanks!

Feel free to surf to my page: mi40x scam (http://www.motostk.woobi.co.kr/xe/board/421403)