Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Stuffed bitter gourd/karela and Maharashtrian Aamti with goda masala

Maharashtrian Aamti
This aamti is a staple in my in-laws home. Even though they are from Goa, my hubby’s brother and bhabhi do not eat non-vegetarian food. So there is fish curry, and then there is this aamti. My MIL tries to vary the menu but this is one of the aamtis which is regularly made. Its sour, and spicy and a bit sweet.

We love stuffed karelas. This is a simpler version of the same. there is another elaborate recipe for stuffed bitter gourd on my blog.

 
Posted by Picasa


Maharashtrain aamti

½ cup toor/arhar dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing
8-10 curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp goda masala
a small piece of tamarind, soaked and pulp removed
1 inch piece of jaggery or gur
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
coriander leaves for garnish
2 tsp grated coconut

Wash the toor dal and pressure cook till it is done.
Add turmeric, red chilies, gur, goda masala, salt, tamarind pulp, 1/2 cup water and cook for 10-15 mins.

Heat oil. Add mustards seeds. When they crackle, add hing and curry leaves. Add this to the dal, cover and cook 5 mins on low heat. Garnish with coriander leaves and coconut. Serve hot with rice and any vegetable.
Goda masala is a blend of about 20 spices and coconut which are roasted and then ground. I get mine from my MIL. I think there is a recipe for it on Nupur's blog.

Stuffed Karela/ bitter gourd
Ingredients:

6 small tender bitter gourd/karelas
2 tsp yogurt
2-3 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp amchoor powder
½ tsp sugar
Salt to taste
1 tblsp oil + ½ tblsp oil

Peel the karelas and slit them and remove all the seeds.
Apply salt and 2 tsp yogurt liberally, both inside and outside. Keep aside for at least 1 hour. Wash the karelas nicely, squeeze out all the water and keep aside.
In the meantime, prepare the stuffing.
Mix 1/2 tblsp oil with all the ground spices. If you use mustard oil, that will taste much better in this recipe.
Stuff a little stuffing in each karela.

Heat oil in a non-stick pan. place the karelas in the pan and cook on low heat till brown on each side. You can cover and cook for initial 10-15 mins and then cook without a lid for the remaining time till brown.

If you like bitter gourd, do try out another stuffed karela recipe on my blog.

17 comments:

Pooja said...

That really looks healthy Vimmi ! Aamti with bitter gourd , is a good combo too ! At my mom's place everyone likes this bitter veggie except me :)) , now slowly I am trying to include this veggie in my daily cooking.
thanks for sharing the recipe !
keep blogging !

Rina said...

Vimmi, Karela is one of my fav vegies. Will love to try this version. Thanx for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i want to try this.one query is should we mix 12 tbsp of oil with the other ingredients to make the stuffing.isn't that too much of oil.Just clarify..

Revathi shanmugam

vimmi said...

Sorry anonymous,
It should read as mix 1/2 tblsp oil and not 12 tblsp oil. I will correct it,. Thanks for noticing that.

KayKat said...

Mmmm ... stuffed karela - I could be convinced to try it, the spice mix sounds great.

sra said...

Hi Vimmi, we do a version with onion, garlic and jaggery, that's tasty too!

Miri said...

I love karela in all forms, especially stuffed - thanks for posting this version and I will check out the other recipe too

vimmi said...

Thanks everyone

Sra,
we have a version with onion and masalas too. I have posted it earlier. That tastes much more tasty.

DEEPA said...

I am completely drooling over this ..Kareala has been my favrt one ....

Finla said...

Stuffed Karela looks delicious.
When i saw that your in laws were from goa i was saying wow she will have excelent fish dishes :-)))

vimmi said...

Hi Happy cook,
I have great many fish dishes recipes but here we do not get indian fish. will try to post some soon

Nupur said...

That looks like such a delicious and comforting meal!

vimmi said...

Thanks Nupur,
I think u also have the aamti recipe on ur blog.

Dori said...

Looks so good, I'm crazy about this kind of food :D

Anonymous said...

I love stuffed karela. I am about to make my version pretty soon and post in my blog.

Anonymous said...

I usually do not leave a comment, but the ideas really rocks, also I have a few questions like to ask, what's your contact details?

-Johnson

Anonymous said...

ArtibreideorY
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/indigestion-dyspepsia]indigestion dyspepsia[/url]
PoohadaMita