Monday, February 11, 2008

Missi Roti - a traditional north indian roti

Missi roti is a favorite type of roti cooked in Punjab and Rajasthan. Its nothing but a combination of whole wheat flour and besan, with addition of certain spices and onions. This tastes great when you serve it hot off the tava. Its very easy to make espcially if you do not have any vegetables at home, or just want a change. Some people use more besan or eqal quantities of flour and besan, but I like a little less besan in my rotis.

 
Posted by Picasa


Missi Roti
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tblsp besan/chick pea flour
2 tblsp onion finely chopped
2 tblsp green coriander finely chopped
2-3 green chilies finely chopped
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
Oil for the paranthas.

Add all the above ingredients (except oil) and mix well. Add water and knead into a medium soft dough. Knead the dough for 5 mins, add 1 tsp oil and knead again.
Then cover and keep aside for 30 mins.

Heat tava over medium heat. Take a small ball of the dough and roll it out into a thin disc, like you make a roti. Roll them a little thicker than a roti. Put dry flour as and when needed. Roll it slowly so that the roti does not break or stick. Put the parantha on the tava, cook for 20 sec, turn and cook 20 sec more. Then put ½ tsp oil on each side and cook till golden spots appear. This generally takes 1 minute per side. Repeat for all the other rotis. Serve hot with pickles, chaas, butter and yogurt.

11 comments:

Richa said...

missi roti looks so good, Vimmi! it is my fav, am drooling here :)

Meera said...

I just made Missi roti last week. I was thnking of blogging too. thanks for sharing. i will blog my version soon.

sra said...

Your missi roti looks good, I don't think I've had it before, though!

Miri said...

Many moons ago, I was told by a date that I hadnt tasted anything if I hadnt tasted a missi roti - and he extolled its virtues after he had ordered it.....that was the only thing he was right about! :)

The roti looks yummy Vimmi!

bee said...

this looks wonderful. thanks for the recipe.

vimmi said...

Thanks Richa.

Hi Meera, I made it after a long time.
He Sra, Do try it. Its easy and yummy.

Hi Miri,
At least u enjoyed a part of the date, LOL

Hi Bee, thanks. Its a great change from stuffed paranthas.

Uma said...

Wow, they look yummy! Nice Pic.

Julie said...

Those chicken puffs look wonderful, very flavorful.

vimmi said...

Thanks Uma and Julie.

Archana Doshi said...

its one of my favorites. I make a different version. I usually stuff the besan mixture into the wheat dough. roasted sunf powdered also goes into this, along with amchur powder. Its delicious. First time at your site, lovely recipes and nice pictures.

vimmi said...

Hi Archana,
Thanks for a different take on missi roti. will try it.