Monday, February 25, 2008

SPICY BREAD ROLLS - BRead stuffed with potatoes and deep fried

Bread roll, Bread pakoda, Tikki etc would be our breakfast on sundays when we were younger. Paranthas were made for weekday breakfast and these fried delights during weekends. I wonder how I have stayed thin and alive, after eating such junk food. We can't imagine eating such foods regularly now.

But I wanted to make something with potatoes to submit for the two potato events and decided to make these for breakfast this sunday. This is a very common dish in northern India, especially Delhi and Punjab. These bread rolls are deep fried but i will try to bake them the next time.

This is my entry for A POTATO FE(A)ST Hosted by DK's culinary bazaar. The link is http://culinarybazaar.blogspot.com/2008/01/yet-another-event-potato-feast.html

Its also my entry for Ode to Potato hosted by Sia of Monsoon Spice. You can find the information for the event here. http://www.monsoonspice.com/2008/01/announcing-ode-to-potato.html

 


Ingredients

To make 8 rolls

White bread 8 slices ( you can use wheat bread but I like mine with white bread)
Boiled potatoes 4
Green chilies 1-2 tsp
Green coriander/dhania leaves 2 tblsp
Grated ginger 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Onion finely chopped 1 tblsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Amchoor powder or lemon juice to taste
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry.


 


Method

Mash the potatoes nicely. Add all the ingredients and mix well.

Heat oil. Till the oil heats, make rolls out of the bread. Dip the bread slice for just 5 secs in water, remove and squeeze out all water, keeing the shape of the bread intact.

Take the potato stuffing and shape it into a cylindrical shape. Then keep it in the bread and close the bread slice around it, and press it between your palms to bind it nicely. Make all the rolls the same way. Then deep fry on medium heat till golden brown.

Serve hot with any chutney or sauce of your choice.

23 comments:

Trupti said...

Hey Vimmi, Nice recipe..Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Sagari said...

this is one of my fav snack vimmi

Kalai said...

Awesome snack, Vimmi! Great entry! :)

Dhivya said...

Wow!bread roll sounds great vimmi..keep rocking

DK said...

These rolls are so tempting esp the second pic made me want to grab one right from the screen. Thanks for sending them my way :)

vimmi said...

Hi Trupti,
Thanks.

Hi Sagari,
My fav too. Any thing fried is my Fav anyways.

Thanks Kalai.

Hi Dhivya,

Thanks.

Hi Dk,

Was glad I was able to send it in time. Have to make some thing for the gujarati event too, dont know whether i will make it in time.

Priya said...

these rolls are now become very famous in south india too.

i love them. but when ever i make them, it doesn't turn out like yours.

yours has a good shape to it.

i always end up making like a bonda. round shape.

vimmi said...

Hi Priya,

It just takes a little practise. I just keep on pressing them till they shape up . Cup them in your hands and keep ur hands around them joining ur hands. then roll them slowly and press.

Anonymous said...

I have not heard of stuffed bread fries. It's really good.

Mansi said...

This was one of my favorites until I started putting on weight!:D looks great vimmi:)

vimmi said...

Hi Nithu,
This is a common breakfast in the northern India.

Thanks Mansi.

Pooja V said...

If i was abt 10 pounds lesser i would have made them today, a perfect combo with ginger t. I am off to gym to shed a few pounds. I will make them soon ( now I am motivated).

Cham said...

Rolls are in perfect shape. Great entry :)

EC said...

looks good...try adding some carrot and peas to it, it would also be healthier

KALVA said...

Yes we amd ethese when we were kids.. these were our first snacks.. we dippes the bread slice in milk and filled with potato filing.

Unknown said...

nice bread rolls..i was planning to make them from a very long time..but have been very lazy to do so..hope to make them soon now..

Jayashree said...

I have made these once....LONG back...but the bread absorbed too much oil...I've never made them since. Yours looks nice....do you have any tips to make sure it doesn't take in too much oil?

Sia said...

that looks absolutely delicious. but i guess the bread absorbs little too much of oil. have u tried baking it in oven?
thank you for sending this delicious entry:)

Lavanya Raj said...

this is my favourite snack vimmi. iam drooling here.

vimmi said...

Hi Pooja,
Hope you shed the pounds soon and then enjoy these.

Hi Cham,
Thanks.

Hi Easy craft,

Healthy is good, but some times just crave for the original version.

Hi Kalva,

Just read some where else also about dipping them in milk.

Hi Jayashree,
Mine does not absorb too much oil. I try to get a dense bread, not too soft and keep the oil on medium temperature. Also there should not be too much water left after dipping. The bread in India did not soak as much oil.

You can also try baking them after spraying them with oil. I baked cheese filled ones and they turned out pretty good.

Hi Sia,

I had once tried cheese filled ones which i had baked. These i have never baked. In India the bread does not soak too much oil.

Dayle said...

This looks so very yummy!! I have been looking for a recipe similar to this one. Years ago I used to snack on a deep fried roll that was sold already cooked in a variety store where I lived. I would get one and one of their samosas as well, but I never learned what the other pastry was. It looked a lot like your spicy bread roll, but it had some kind of meat inside instead of potatoes. Would you by chance know what it was?? Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Awesome recipe.. Its tempting.. must try this once.. Try more south indian foods at South Indian Recipes

chowringhee said...

Nice post…. I enjoyed reading your informative article and considering the points
restaurant in laxmi nagar