Tuesday, February 19, 2008

PACHRANGA PANIPURI / GOLGAPPE - with FIVE different waters for filling

Ambala Cantt is my birth place, and is situated in Haryana. It’s the place where we went twice a year, for many years, to spend our summer and diwali vacations. This was where my mom and dad had spend their childhood. My naniji (mom’s mom) had some health problems and we would spend all our holidays at their place so that my mom could take care of my nana nani at least during the holidays.

Ambala is known for its Air and Army Cantonments and also for its surgical and medical instruments. But it is also a heaven for food lovers.

In the mornings, you can get breakfast of puri, aloo, aloo chana and kaddu ki sabji. This would be our breakfast many mornings. You can’t even imagine how delicious this is, if you have not eaten it in Ambala.

In the afternoons, various feriwalas go from huse to house, selling their tasty foods. It could be a kulfi wala, chaat wala, tikki wala, mungfuli wala or churan wala.

In the evening, the streets bustle with activity. The chaats wala have hordes of people waing in line for their turn. There is a tikki wala, who sells the most delicious tikki chaat. The tikki is cooked for a long time, on a big tava till it becomes very crispy on the outside. Its then sliced open, and served with green chutmey, imli chuney and dahi. Its very difficult to re-create such delicacies at home, even though I make a mean aloo tikki chaat.

Then there is a pachranga golgappe wala, who makes5 different types of water. So you get a diffenet water in each of your golgappas. It been 7 years since I have been to Ambala, and really miss the golgappas a lot. So I decided to re-create the pachrange experience at home. My mom makes 3 types of pani with panipuri. I made 5 types.

I make the pani with less tamarind and more lemon jucie bcos tamarind water sometimes hurts the teeth. You can use tamarind for ur water if you choose.



 
Posted by Picasa

 




Pudina wala pani (this is what i make regularly for panipuris)


For 480 ml water – 2 cups.

2 tblsp fresh mint/pudina
1 tblsp coriender / dhania leaves
2-3 green chilies
A small piece of ginger
2 tsp pani puri masala (I use everest)
2 tblsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Grind all the above to a paste using a little water. Mix it with 2 cups of water and keep it in the fridge for about 5-6 hours to develop the flavors. Strain the water and throw away the pulp.
Serve cold.


Hing wala pani

For 480 ml water- 2 cups

Water 2 cups
Hing/ asafetida 1/4th tsp
Kala namak/black salt 1 tsp
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Lemon juice 1 tblsp or to taste
Coriander/dhania powder 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp or more to taste
Sugar ½ tsp (optional)
Chaat masala or pani puri masala 1-2 tsp


Khatta pani

Water 2 cups
Everest pani puri masala 1 tblsp
Red chili powder or green chili paste to taste
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Lemon juice 1 tblsp
A little salt or kala namak to taste
Mix all the above an keep in the fridge for 5-6 hours. Serve cold

Meetha/Sweet pani

For 480 ml water 2 cups

Water 2 cups
Meethi chutney 2-3 tblsp as per taste (I use Deep tamarind and date chutney)
Green chili paste or red chili powder 1 tblsp
Lemon juice 1 tblsp
Salt to taste
Mix all the above an keep in the fridge for 5-6 hours. Serve cold


Jeera pani

For 480 ml water 2 cups

Water 2 cups
Roasted jeera powder 1 tblsp
Tamarind paste 1 tsp
Lemon juice 1-2 tblsp
Red chili powder/green chili paste 1 tsp
Black salt/kala namak 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar 1 tsp (optional)

Mix all the above an keep in the fridge for 5-6 hours. Serve cold


Other ingredients

Panipuris/golgappas 40 nos

Boiled potatoes 5
red chili powder 1/2 tsp
roasted cumin seed powder 1/2 tsp
salt to taste

Mash the boiled potatoes nicely. Add cumin seed powder, chili powder and salt. Mix well

To serve

Make a hole in the golgappa, add some boiled potatoes and then fill with the water of your choice. you can also put a little meetha pani and then top with another pani to create a new combination.

49 comments:

Cham said...

Oh God - What a creation! I love Pani puri and always failed to keep the puris crisp. I will try your recipe.

Trupti said...

Wooooooow..I love Pani Puri. I usually use jst green pani & meetha pani. Next time I will try other pani.
Thanks for sharing recipe.

Laavanya said...

I had no idea that there could be so many different kinds of flavoured paanis.. how interesting!

vimmi said...

Hi cham,

i use ready made puris.

Hi trupti. i also generally make only one type of green pani.

Hi Lavanya, Pacranga is the only place i have eaten such a variety. my mom makes 3 types.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

vimmi .... nice one 5 types of pani oh my god ...i used to make only one pani that is pudina :))

I will try rest of other types :)

vimmi said...

Hi Lavanya,
We really enjoyed the five waters. I also generally make only pudina.

Kalai said...

Pani puri is awesome! I had no idea there are so many kinds of waters, vimmi. Thanks and will try making pani puri (instead of buying it!) one of these days. :)

bee said...

truly lip-smacking. thanks for the recipe for the different varieties of pani.

vimmi said...

Thanks Kalai and Bee.
DO try.

Kalai, I also get the puris readymade, just make the pani at home.

FH said...

Haryana sounds great Vimmi, I have never been to anywhere beyond Bombay!! Mostly we hear about bad things as outsiders about Haryana but I am sure lot of it is just exaggeration! Hope you take of photos while you are there and post here.(authentic Punjabi food too!:D)
5 panis look very festive, great post. I will save this post, love Pani Puris!:)

Meera said...

Gosh! what a nice description, Vimmi. You almost took me to Haryana with you. and whether you want or not, I am coming over to eat that pachranga panipuri! :-) AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing. nice article.

TBC said...

So many different kinds of panis!
Love pani puri. Would love to try this at home.:)

vimmi said...

Hi Ashaji,

From the time we have come to the uSA< I have never visited Haryana. Both my parents and in-laws are in Mumbai. Plan to visit there next year, and if I do, will surely get the photos.

Thanks Meera,

I got nostalgic writing about this post. Do come over any time. Will treat you to aloo tikki chaat too. With a 2 yr old, I generally write my posts in a hurry. Do try the recipe.

Thanks TBC,
do try. Its lot of fun. And it just took about 30 mins to make all the panis.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

5 types of pani???!?!?! thats amazing!!!! I can imagine how good it would have tasted.... thanx a ton for sharing the recipe.

vimmi said...

Hi Ramya,

Yes it was amazing. We are spoilt now. onw pani wont satisfyus now, will it.

Dhivya said...

wow..pani poori..my hubby's all time favorite...will try them for sure..thanks for sharing

Samta said...

Hi Vimmi
my first time here. This is great! 5 types of panis wiht the puri. Cannot wait to try it - ofcorse I have to get the puris first ;)

vimmi said...

Hi Dhivya and Samta

Thanks a lot.

EC said...

Five types of pani is really good...try to make the puris also urself, u can check out my blog for the recipe

Sagari said...

yummmmmmm I already have a water in my mouth ,very nice post vimmi

vimmi said...

Hi Easycrafts,
I had made the puris once at home, but the effort was too much. And our indian store carries very fresh puris.

Thanks Sagari,

It was really yummy

Pravs said...

hmm..super !! love pani puri. Didn't have any idea about diff pani's. Nice read about your home town.

Red Chillies said...

Jeez! I did not know there were so many varieties of paani. I know only one type. Good to know!

BTW, your kiddos antics totally had me in splits the whole time. Please give him a big hug on my behalf!

Anonymous said...

I never knew this many types of pani. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing them.

Lavanya Raj said...

oh god..vimmi..shall i come to your home. after reading your post.. i felt i should vist ambala.

Srivalli said...

wow..thats lovely..my hubby loves it...should try..amazing to have 5..great going

Lakshmi said...

Wowwww...Vimmi I did not know 5 types of pani existed!! This is bookmarked to try!! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Finla said...

I love pani puri but never made them at home.
And you make a variety of them.

vimmi said...

Hi Pravs,
Thanks.

Red Chilies, They are funny arent they. Suddenly my son has started saying so much fun stuff, cant believe it. I just gave him a hug from you.

Hi Madhu,

You are welcome.

Hi Lavanya,
Even if u get a chance to visit Delhi, do it. The food there is amazing. You can come to my place anytime for some chapata chaats.

Hi Srivalli,

try it. it does not take much time though the eating gets a bit messy. But who cares, right?

Hi IG,
Do try it. Its fun.

Hi Happy cook,

You bake a lot and I don't. I have been meaning to start that. Lets see when I will.

Mansi said...

omg God Vimmi!! reading this post early in the morning is not doing good to my tastebuds!!:) loved it gal!

Mishmash ! said...

U have no idea how much i am crazy about panipuris...never miss them but never tried at home :)

vimmi said...

Hi Mansi,
Thanks. I just had a glass of the left over water, had mixed them all. Tasted more delish today.

Do try it Mishmash, its very easy. You can justs tart with one or 2 waters.

Rama said...

I love Pani Puri....Nice Pictures...

Vaishali said...

Gosh, Vimmi. This post brought back so many memories of growing up in Bombay. A truly mouthwatering and tempting spread!

Pooja V said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....i am droling over this spread. A must try this weekend.

vimmi said...

Thanks Rama.

Hi Vaishali,
going to mumbai in march. looking forward to vada pav, dosas, pav bhaji.

Hi Pooja,

:Do try. Its a lot of fun.

Uma said...

Wow, looks lovely. Mouth-watering Pani puri. Never tried pani puri. you pic and recipe tempting me to make them. Thanks for the nice recipe.

vimmi said...

Hi Uma,

Thanks. Its easy if you get ready made puris.

Siri said...

U hit the nail on its head vimmi.. *panipuris* are my fav.. u can imagine how elated I am reading ur post..:DD Thanks for sharing..:))

Siri

vimmi said...

Hi Siri,

Thanks a lot. We also love panipuris. I love all kinds of chaats.

Priya said...

wow i didn't know we cd make so much panni. i usually end up making the mint one. next time i will try something from here

vimmi said...

Hi Priya,

It doesnot take much time either.

Jaya M said...

wow ! lovely I didnt know 5 types of pani for pani puris ...
i have saved it ,thanks a lot Vimmi for sharing ..
hugs and smiles
jaya

vimmi said...

Thanks Jaya,

I wouldn't have known it myself, if I had not eaten this.

Indian Food NJ said...

Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which offers a wide range of delicious North and South Indian vegetarian dishes. Situated in the heart of Bergen County, Madras Bistro is located in Hackensack, NJ.

Indian Food NJ said...

Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which offers a wide range of delicious North and South Indian vegetarian dishes. Situated in the heart of Bergen County, Madras Bistro is located in Hackensack, NJ.

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an article he/she maintains the thought of a user in his/her brain that
how a user can be aware of it. Therefore that's why this piece of writing is perfect. Thanks!

Visit my blog post - Discount codes

priyanka said...

hey.. i was trying to search for the recipe of ambala.. cz i am born and brought up there.. working now in hyd :( :( i miss them big tym.. its no where else on youtube as well.. thanks a ton!! this saves me big tym..

Amritpal Singh Chahal said...

Hi Vimmi, you made me relive my memories. My nana nani house is also in Ambala. I miss pachranga and puri wala at Golchakar. Also the coffee and sandwich, juice corner, Dosas in the evening. Wow yummy. Thanks for the recipe.